Thursday, August 23, 2012

Let us be content with what we have...



1 Timothy 6:3-5 NASB  If anyone advocates a different doctrine and does not agree with sound words, those of our Lord Jesus Christ, and with the doctrine conforming to godliness,  (4)  he is conceited and understands nothing; but he has a morbid interest in controversial questions and disputes about words, out of which arise envy, strife, abusive language, evil suspicions,  (5)  and constant friction between men of depraved mind and deprived of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain.

Sadly, I can think of people that fit into this description.  The Christian recording artist Steve Camp wrote a song, "The Agony of Deceit" from his album "Consider the Cost" that reflects this whole type of servant.

They are Wolves in sheep's clothing, they are trying to seduce your souls.Teaching doctrines of demons, lies are all they know. They are prophets of destruction, these are New Age Heretics Say they'll show the way to salvation but their cross is a bloodless stick 
This is the Agony of Deceit, missing truth from the lies they teach. Oh, They come in Jesus name, but they're sons of Hades, this is the agony of deceit.  
They are clouds without water, they have hearts trained in greed.They are like wild animals and you are the food they eat. Depraved in their minds, Deprived of the truth, they promise prosperity. But the cash they steal from you, though the coffin they still have defeat.  
This is the Agony of Deceit, missing truth from the lies they teach. Oh, They come in Jesus name, but they're sons of Hades, this is the agony of deceit. 
Beloved rest in the truth of the Lord, hold fast to the faith Word Guard the treasure by the Spirit of God, a foundation which stands sure. 
They have eyes full of adultery, they never cease from sin, They're exalted in heresy deception is their friend, Speaking out prideful words of vanity, they enticed by fleshly desire, Like a dog returns to its vomit you see, like a sow wallows in the mire. 
This is the Agony of Deceit, A missing truth from the lies they teach. Oh, They come in Jesus name, but they're sons of Hades, this is the agony, oh yeah, the agony of deceit. For all the missing truths for the lies they teach, oh they come in Jesus name, but their sons of Hades, this is the agony of deceit... oh the agony... 
trying to seduce you, lies are all they know, wolves up in sheeps clothing, the agony... trying to seduce you, lies are all they know, wolves up in sheeps clothing, the agony... the agony....

What is very disturbing to me is that these men are usually teachers with a following.  Paul had warned Timothy a couple of chapters earlier about them - "holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power; Avoid such men as these."  I have had the unfortunate experience of being involved with more than one ministry like this as a much younger Christian.  I was in one for nearly 20 years before God showed me the truth about the man in leadership and the immorality he had given himself to for the previous several years.  Many left disillusioned when the truth came to light.

I thought before I read this today that this experience had perhaps made me hypersensitive to these kinds of groups, so I did something I should not have - I ignored my better impulses in a more recent situation.  However, God is faithful to teach us when our hearts are following him, and I was shown the truth.  I chose to exit that ministry gracefully at the very beginning of trouble.  In the following few days, many of the friends I had made there made similar decisions.  It is difficult to sit here now and read this passage and read it in context of a brother I hold dear, but I pray for him that God would also teach him in His mercy that true Godliness IS a means of great gain.

1 Timothy 6:6-10 NASB  But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment.  (7)  For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either.  (8)  If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content.  (9)  But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction.  (10)  For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

God is saying to me here to be content with what I have.  I have to be honest with you and with myself here - I am an aspiring financial planner, with some skill at helping people make money.  I know by first name some very rich men in my industry.  However, at the beginning of my career in the now, I have nothing.  I have a house, and I have food for my family most of the time.  I have to put in 14-20 hour days to do that sometimes.  God is telling me personally that my answers are to be found in Him, not in money, not in financial services, not in the riches of this world.  Many of you who know me have seen parts of my struggle, and know that it has been a hard thing just to keep my head above water - but I can tell you now that it is WORTH ALL OF IT!!!  God shows us what we need when we are ready to see it, thank you Lord!  More, He gives those who would follow him direction:

1 Timothy 6:11-12 NASB  But flee from these things, you man of God, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness.  (12)  Fight the good fight of faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called, and you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

The love of money and dollars gained is not the answer.  Instead, God Himself tells us what to pursue - Righteousness, that conduct which is right and good; Godliness, that character which is like God Himself, filled with mercy and grace; Faith, the conviction of things not seen; Love, as Christ loved, self-sacrificially; Perseverance, the quality of sticking with a situation no matter what with the knowledge that God is GOOD, and that He will provide; and lastly, Gentleness, or Meekness, the quality of knowing you HAVE the power, but choosing to govern your response to be peaceful and kind.  This is how we must fight the good fight of faith and take hold of that age-to-age life that Paul speaks of.  In doing so, we become a powerful testimony to the living God!

Friends, let us be those that seek to be content with what we have.  Let us flee the so-called riches of this world and instead pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart (1 Tim 2:22).  Let us be that powerful testimony with our lives lived in sacrifice of what we want in exchange for what He wants for us, knowing that He only gives the best to those who love Him this way - and the best is His Son Jesus, and being transformed into His glorious image!  May the Lord of all richly bless you!


---
"You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
-John 8:32 (NASB)

No comments: